Dying Daily...

I took this photo while I was on a crew hike on George's Island in Southeast Alaska while I was working for Lindblad Expeditions. I just recently rediscovered the dead bird, I believe it might be a raven, that a friend of mine pointed out to me on the trail to take a photo of. The photo came to me this morning when I had a conversation with a friend about all of the shifts going on and the emerging new energies of the planet. This friend of mine reminded me of the principle of practicing dying each to bring in new light. I immediately remember a great passage from Stillness Speaks by Eckhart Tolle that talks about the principle. "There is still a widespread denial of death in Western cultures. Even old people try not to speak or think about it, and dead bodies are hidden away. A culture that denies death inevitably becomes shallow and superficial, concerned only with the external form of things. When death is denied, life loses its depth. The possibility of knowing who we are beyond name and form, the dimension of the transcendent, disappears from our lives because death is the opening into that dimension. People tend to be uncomfortable with endings, because every ending is a little death. That's why in many languages the word for “good-bye” means “see you again.” Whenever an experience comes to an end - a gathering of friends, a vacation, your children leaving home - you die a little death. A “form” that appeared in your consciousness as that experience dissolves. Often this leaves behind a feeling of emptiness that most people try hard not to feel, not to face. If you can learn to accept and even welcome the endings in your life, you may find that the feeling of emptiness that initially felt uncomfortable turns into a sense of inner spaciousness that is deeply peaceful. By learning to die daily in this way, you open yourself to life…." This passage really spoke to me about the art of surrendering and letting go. Letting go of all of those mental labels, especially from yourself, family, friends, and society to name a few. Let go of it all to have it all. Let the beauty of life shine bright through you...



Popular Posts